Are you a fan or a follower of Jesus Christ.
- A fan is a enthusiastic, jumping on the bandwagon and cheering when things are great. A follower doesn’t waver. She sticks close, even when the outcome doesn’t look favorable.
- A fan knows about someone. A follower knows someone.
- A fan loves the fun, but a follower is willing to work.
“Fans don’t mind Jesus making some minor change in their lives but Jesus wants to turn our lives upside down,”
- Have you made a decision for Jesus or have you committed to Jesus? Many have made a decision to believe in Jesus without making a commitment to follow Jesus. The gospel allows for no such distinction.
- Do you just know about Jesus, or do you really know Him? Fans have a tendency to confuse their knowledge for intimacy. They don’t recognize the difference between knowing about Jesus and truly knowing Jesus.
- Is Jesus one of many or is He your one and only? Jesus makes it clear that he will not share your affection. Following Him requires your whole heart.
- Are you more focused on the outside than the inside? Instead of following Jesus they (fans) are following religious rules and rituals. They have confused the targets. (To paraphrase another quote in the book, fans tend to be raised up in Church instead of being raised up in Christ.)
- Are you a self-empowered fan or a Spirit-filled follower? Fans try to play the role of the Holy Spirit, but trying to be God has a tendency to wear you out.