Sunday, May 26, 2013

Six Steps To Become the Church Member God Calls Us To Be

Have you read the latest issue of Home Life Magazine? There is a great article "I Am a Church Member". Going to share some bits through the week.

"God didn't give local churches to become country clubs where membership means having privileges and perks. He placed us in churches to serve, to care for others, to pray for leaders, to learn, to teach, to give..." May our hearts' desire cause us to be the church body that loves and grows in His love.
 
1. Kind of membership is not of the world, "Now you are the body of Christ and individual members of it." I Cor. 12:27. Members should be functioning members, ready to give, serve, minister, evangelize, study and seek to be a blessing to others.

2. Strive to be a source of unity in the church.
 
3. I will not let my church be about my preferences and desires, that's self-serving. I'm in this church to serve others and to serve Christ. My Savior went to the cross for me. I can deal with any inconvenience and matters that aren't my preference or style.

 4. I will pray for my pastor every day. My pastor cannot serve our church in his own power. May God work through Him to give him strength, energy, wisdom and may God's Word pour from him through sermons and actions.
 
5. Lead our family to be good members as well. Pray together for our church, worship together in church, serve together in the church. Ask God to help us fall deeper in love with the church.

6. Remember that membership is a gift. Through the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, we became a part of the body of Christ. Now, we are humbled and honored to serve and love others in our church. May we never take our church membership for granted but see it as a gift and an opportunity to serve others and to be a part of something so much greater than any one person or member.

No comments: