Wednesday, September 2, 2015

6 Things Mom Taught Me About Church

These pieces of 'old fashioned advice' were shared in an article from a preacher's child growing up several years ago!  But, after a few decades, I’m wondering if they weren’t so bad after all. Do you think the mom was nuts or maybe on to something!!!

1. Dress up.
Mom felt that church was about honoring God, and looking right was a big part of that honor. Today, even pastors preach in jeans and t-shirts, and the truth is, everyone loves being casual.
But attorneys and other professions have learned that how you dress impacts your attitude and perception.
As mom said, it shouldn’t be about pride, it should be about honor. Looking around the congregation these days, I just wonder if we could use an occasional dose of my mom’s advice.

2. Pay attention.
Back then, we had to pay attention.  But looking back, it taught discipline and a remarkable amount of Bible teaching.

3. Send the babies to the nursery.
Back in those days, we didn’t have “children’s church.” All we had was a nursery for the babies, and my mom thought they should go.
To her, there was nothing more rude than parents allowing a screaming baby to interrupt the worship of the congregation. She knew babies weren’t getting anything out of the sermon, so get them out where they could have a little fun!
I thought about my mom last Sunday, sitting behind a young couple with a screaming baby who just sat there, and sat there, and sat there. (You know the kind of parents that can’t POSSIBLY leave their children with anyone else?)
What did the pastor preach about? I can’t remember …

4. If you show up late, sit in the back.
Mom thought church wasn’t the same as a movie, concert or classroom. It was holy, and we needed to respect that.
Although 99 percent of the time our family sat on the front row, if we showed up late for any reason, we sat in the back. She would never distract anyone from my dad’s message by walking down the aisle after the service had started.

5. Bring your Bible.
Mom’s motto was, “Buy a Bible, read it and underline it.” She never understood how people could come to church without their Bible.
To her, it was like showing up at a baseball game without a bat. I’ve tried the “pew Bible” and Bible apps on my iPad, but for me, I can’t get my mom’s rule out of my head, so I bring the real thing—marked up and all.

6. Sunday school matters.
Remarkably few churches have Sunday school programs anymore, and I’m often surprised at the number of church members who think a weekly sermon is enough.
Mom felt that we needed to go deeper, and Sunday school was that place.

No comments: