Tuesday, January 26, 2016

12 Reasons Why A Pastor Quit Attending Sporting Events


12 Reasons A Pastor Quit Attending Sports Events

1. The coach never came to visit me.
2. Every time I went, they asked for money.
3. The people sitting in my row didn’t seem very friendly.
4. The seats were very hard.
5. The referees made a decision I didn’t agree with.
6. I was sitting with hypocrites—they only came to see what others were wearing!
7. Some games went into overtime and I was late getting home.
8. The band played some songs I had never heard before.
9. The games are scheduled on my only day to sleep in and run errands.
10. My parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.
11. Since I read a book on sports, I feel that I know more than the coaches, anyway.
12. I don’t want to take my children because I want them to choose for themselves what sport they like best.

Obviously, this humorous article is a parody on the excuses people give for not attending church.   , if something is really important in our lives, we will make time for it.  For the majority of people, their recreational activities, social events, and shopping urges always seem to have ample time in their schedules.  If I have to think about what I am doing on Sunday, barring illness, church is not important to me. 

Secondly, we give our money to what we really love.  Show me your checkbook and I will show you what’s important to you.  Amazingly, we can spend hundreds of dollars with no thought on weekend trips and eating out, but often struggle to place five dollars in the offering plate.  This issue isn’t about amount, but about attitude.  When we see ourselves as the source of all we have, God really isn’t important.  Therefore, we see no need to give back that which came from him in the first place.



Worship was never designed by God for our comfort or to entertain us, but to lead us into his presence.  He is the audience.  We are the ones to show Him our love and praise for Him.  With other like-minded believers, we attend to be with Him and adore Him. It is not about me.

Can we  put any excuses aside and worship this Sunday?  And rather than just watching, may we join together on the team bench because we’re more than just spectators.  We’re part of God’s team

No comments: